Contests Editing Rules - Modern Editing
The purpose of this rule set is to allow for creativity, while keeping the integrity of the original photograph.
What is legal?
· Your entry may consist of an unlimited number of exposures taken at the same time, using the same framing. This means you can take multiple exposures of the same scene for HDR, star trails, & focus.
· Your entry may consist of an unlimited number of exposures using different framing for the purposes of creating panorama style photographs.
· You may crop, rotate, flip, and resize your entry
· You are allowed to clone out dust spots, water spots, dead pixels, hot pixels, stray hairs, and blemishes on a person’s skin. On top of that you can clone out any element of a photograph as long as it does not drastically alter the photograph. (Think background & secondary elements)
· You may use adjustment layers (any blending mode) to all or part of the image
· You may apply filters or use actions (ex: Photoshop, Photomatix, Nik Software, Lucis Art, Topaz, etc.)
· You may use the dodge & burn tools to all or part of the image
· You may enhance an already existing vignette, or add a new vignette
· You may correct lens distortion
· You may convert your image to Black & White, Duotone, Tritone or Quadtone (can affect all or part of the image)
· You may use blur to all or part of the image
· You may sharpen your image using any method to all or part of the image
· You may remove noise from your photograph using any method (can affect all or part of the image)
· You may add or fill in a SMALL AMOUNT of empty space outside your image (for example, if your subject is touching the edge of the frame and you want to gain some negative space). You may do this using the clone tool or content aware fill (or similar)
· You may add a border to your image
What is illegal?
· You may NOT add any elements to the photograph that didn’t exist in the original
· You may NOT add new distortion
· Your photography may NOT consist entirely of an already existing artwork
· You may NOT add any text or copyright symbols
And don’t forget:
· Your photograph MUST be taken with a digital camera that records EXIF data
· The photograph MUST be taken during the “shooting phase” of this contest
· The photograph MUST be composed and edited by you. Someone else may take the photo as long as you have set up the shot
· The photograph your submit MUST be in .jpg format
· The photograph CANNOT be larger than 850 pixels for any dimension (unless specified otherwise)
· The photographs MUST not be larger than 375kb (unless specified otherwise)
· You are NOT allowed to enter more than one photograph into a contest
· Artistic nudity is allowed. Sexually explicit or suggestive photographs are not. No genitalia please